(Hickory, KY) This Friday, the Kentucky State Police will begin an enforcement campaign entitled Friday Night Blue Lights. This traffic safety initiative is geared towards enforcement near high school football venues in the Post One area. In Kentucky, the fall months have the highest number of injuries and fatalities, with Friday night having the greatest amount of collisions. To help reduce this trend, the Kentucky State Police will be stepping up their enforcement efforts on Friday Evenings this fall. Each week, a different high school football game venue will be selected. Troopers will be especially on the lookout for impaired and reckless drivers, speeding violations, and occupant restraint violations. The Kentucky State Police would like to remind all drivers the following facts:
- Last year, there were 864 fatalities on Kentucky roadways.
- 56% of those fatalities were not wearing a seat belt.
- Kentucky has the fourth lowest rate of seat belt usage among all the states.
- 62% percent of teenage passenger vehicle occupants killed in fatal accidents were not
wearing a seat belt.
- Last year, Kentucky had the 10th highest teenage fatality rate in the nation